[cs13001] Running C++ Code

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Mon Feb 25 00:46:34 EST 2013

> Dr. Nesterenko,
>
> I was wondering how to use any C++ programs we have written; separately
> without visual studio, as well as how they may be installed onto another
> machine. And I also am wondering what installshield or other utilities do
> and are used for.

First, the executable we create by default come in so called debug
format: the executable retains the information source code lines and
source code variable names so that debugger can be used while the
program is run. Also, the compiler runs quickly and does not do
automatic code optimization. Hence, the debug executable is large and
relatively slow. However, it is acceptable since it is used for
debugging. For installation you'll probably need "release format"
executable which is smaller and faster.

In this course we may never need to do a release compile.
However, if you want to do change the compile option, select "Release"
instead of "Debug" from the dropdown menu on the toolbar next to the
green triangle that starts the program execution.

The actual executables are stored in the subdirectories of your
project directory (in Windows 7):

 c:\Users\YourUser\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\YourProjectName

The executable for debugging is in "Debug" subdirectory, while for
release is in "Release"

To run the executable you can click on it in Windows Explorer or run
them from the command line.

To create an wizard-based professional installation you will need
special setup software. InstalSchield (http://www.installshield.com/)
is a commercial program. Inno Setup
(http://www.innosetup.com/isinfo.php) is a good free install creator.