[cs13001] Regarding project1 AOS

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Sat Sep 14 12:45:29 EDT 2013

> Hello professor,
>
> Can I implement the project using multiple threading where each thread will
> work as a process?
>
> Can I test my compile and run my project on departmental Unix server before
> submitting?
>
> As I have understood, we have to construct a computation (sequence of
> execution of processes showing states of processes). is that correct?

I prefer you not use threads, Unix processes or any other complicated
programming constructs. Under no circumstances should you use any kind
of actual message passing or interprocess communication.  In this case
they are going to be a distraction rather than help.

What you are supposed to build is a simulation. Your program should
produce a computation of a simulated system. The simulated system
state should be encoded in a data structure. Your program should look
at this global state, select an enabled guarded command and execute
it. This produces a new global state. This process should repeat until
no guarded command is enabled.

> Can you please tell me the highest value of N can be?

N could be arbitrary. A few thousands should be safe enough to assume
but try to code your program so that it does not depend on a
particular boundary of N.