[cs13001] on random number generators

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Fri Oct 4 21:51:27 EDT 2013

CSI students,

For those who got interested in random number generators (RNG). This
recent New York Times article discusses how RNGs are used in security
and how NSA compromised an RNG standard so that NSA are able to break
encryption.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/government-announces-steps-to-restore-confidence-on-encryption-standards/

Mikhail Nesterenko wrote:
> CSI students,
>
> This is due to one of the students in the course. The information is
> certainly above what would be required on tests.
>
> Remember I mentioned that numbers generated by rand() function are in
[...]