[CSI] Please Respond: CS1A - Supplemental Instruction Support

Jayden Stearns jstearn2 at kent.edu
Tue Sep 1 14:16:50 EDT 2020

Hello Computer Science 1A students,

My name is Jayden Stearns and I am your Supplemental Instruction Leader for
Computer Science 1A and 1B this semester.
This course has Supplemental Instruction (S.I.) support because it
historically has a high DFW rate (Grade of D, F, or Withdrawl) over the
years.

But no worries, because S.I. has repeatedly been proven to help those who
frequently attend, regularly earning up to a full letter grade better on
average in the class than students who don't attend any S.I. Sessions!

*
I need your help in choosing the best times for our S.I. sessions this
semester by completing this short survey by the end of the day:
https://kent.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1C9e1xzZXrfwaB7

There will be 3 S.I. sessions each week*, so choose your available times
there.
The survey closes at 11:59pm tonight, so please take just one minute to
send in your response.

*Note: due to the circumstances, all S.I. sessions will be held
online through Blackboard Collaborate this semester.
*

This course also has tutoring support through the Computer Science
Department, which is different from S.I.
The S.I. sessions function much more like a "group study session" with
other peers in your class, just facilitated by me. With the CS 1A & 1B
final exams being worth such a substantial amount of the grade, I know I
would have loved to attend CS1 S.I. sessions if they were offered when I
took CS1.
Of course, pick what works for you, if you prefer tutoring, try that, if
you are interested in trying an S.I. session, try that (or better yet, you
can always go to both)!

Expect another email from me soon about what S.I. session times you all
decide upon!
So, complete the short survey (link above) to make sure we can choose
session times that work well for you!

Thanks everyone,
Jayden Stearns

P.S. Additional Information can be found at the Kent Supplemental
Instruction website through the Academic Success Center homepage:
https://www.kent.edu/si