[Cs3] Efficiency question

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Sun Mar 2 14:13:53 EST 2014

> Do you know of a C++ book that focuses on how to write clean,
> readable, efficient code rather than the syntax/how to use the
> language?

Well, I would like this course to be about professional programming
techniques. That is, what makes good program design. However, I do not
want to turn this course into just a list of recommendations as to
what to do and what not to do. There are books like that. Scott
Meyers' "Effective C++" is one of the best.

I wanted to make the course about readily applicable practical
techniques. There is an excellent book by Andrei Alexandrescu "Modern
C++ Design", but the coverage there tends towards obscure.

So in this course, we are covering design patterns, templates and STL
with language constructs and good coding practices added as necessary.

Oh, and there are a few books on java programming. "Clean Code" by
Robert Martin is one of most well-known.