[Cs3] CS3 Lab Header Files

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Thu Jan 23 15:10:59 EST 2020

> Hello Dr. Nesterenko,
>
> Today in class I asked why we used *.h files as header files instead of
> *.hpp files as header files. I mentioned that clang++ throws a warning
> about a c-style header being assumed to be a c++ style header and that
> functionality being depreciated. You told me to send you an email to remind
> you about this. Here that email is.

The deal is that .hpp is the now default extension for "pure" C++
header file which may not compile with c-programs. Extension .h
is reserved for files that may be compiled with either c- or c++
programs or just pure c-programs.

I updated the assignment for lab 2 to ask for file extension
.hpp. Anyone who had it compile with .h extension is free to keep it
the old way.

I am planning to work through the code of CS3 and CSI to replace all
.h extensions to .hpp It will take me some time. Please excuse and any
help is appreciated.