[cs33211] Re: homework 2 clarifications

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Tue Mar 17 21:26:48 EDT 2009

> For any questions regarding scores for the upcoming homework, how would you
> rather us go about clarifying, explaining, or, in an extreme case, defending
> our answers if there's some deviance from the sample answer?  Would you
> rather us talk to Xiaoxi before they get graded? Or would it be ok to have
> them graded and then explain why our answers were correct?  Under any
> circumstances could we come to you about the homework after it's been
> graded?

Before Xiaoxi grades each homework, I provide her with solutions and
we discuss the grading strategy. She is a graduate student. Graduating
this semester actually. So I trust that she is evaluating your
homeworks fairly and impartially. Now, what she is grading is what
your wrote in your homework. If you stated the answer without
explanation, especially if the answer is wrong, she may very well take
off points for it. The last question (number 7), for example,
explicitly asked to provide explanations for your solutions. So if you
just stated the answers, she may take off points. Note that some of
the problems, the last one in particular, have several
interpretations. So if you provided a convincing argument, I am sure
Xiaoxi would be sympathetic.

If you have questions about your grading contact her. She holds office
hours and her coordinates are on the webpage. If, for some reason, you
are unsatisfied, you can talk to me.

thanks,