[cs33211] Exam

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Thu Oct 25 15:05:35 EDT 2012

> Would you be able to explain any differences between a readers/writers
> solution and a producers/consumer solution. They seem very similar to me
> and I didn't know if you had any way to help me differentiate them. Thanks

Readers/writers - a single item with multiple processes accessing it
   such that only one writer can access the item while multiple
   readers can access the item concurrently.

Producer/consumer - there is a buffer of items produced and
   consumed. The producer should not overfill the buffer while the
   consumer should not consume when the buffer is empty. The producer
   and consumer thread can operate concurrently otherwise.