[cs33211] OS Project 2 Question

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Tue Nov 6 13:46:23 EST 2012

> I have a question about the bits in the algorithm.  Suppose we have all
> frames filled and the next page coming is within one of the frames but is
> in frame 8.  Are we supposed to set all the bits leading up to that frame
> to 0, since the array had to look at them and would be considered their
> "chance"?

A memory location access sets the reference bit for this page to
one. This is supposed to be done automatically by the memory
management unit. Reference bits of other pages are unaffected.

>  Also suppose all frames are filled and the next page is not within
> a frame, when we replace a page with the new page, is the new page's
> bit supposed to be set to 1?

It is set to zero. The pointer to the next page to be examined when
there second change algorithm is searching for the victim is set to
the next page.