[cs63201] Query regarding Code Verification Description for 2nd project

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Sat Mar 6 22:06:36 EST 2010

> 1. When should the algorithm end?i.e. Should it end when all processes have
> completed executing critical section?

theoretically, mutual exclusion algorithms are supposed to run
indefinitely. However, for tests, you naturally have to consider only
finitely many cases.

> 2. How many times can a process enter critical section?

For unit tests a few, several, "representative" critical section
entries. For automated tests - maybe a 100 or a 1000.

> 3. Does worst case mean "all processes requesting for critical section
> execution" or "many processes requesting for critical section
> execution multiple times?

try "all processes".

> 4. In Raymond's tree algorithm, i think a worst case scenario might be leaf
> nodes requesting for token where token travels from one end to another. Also
> it depends on number of nodes. Am I right in making this statement?

sounds reasonable. Or node A gives up the token, the token leaves the
node for another node B that is far away in the tree and then node A
immediately requests the token.