[cs63201] Adv OS Project Part1 Question

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Mon Sep 19 19:51:47 EDT 2011

> 1) Would I be allowed to submit my project early to get some feedback
> on it and then do a revision, or is that not allowed?

You can send you code to me to critique. I'll be happy to take a look
at it and give you pointers.

> 2) I've been running my program over and over with varying # of
> processes, it seems like if I keep the processes low it will sometimes
> reach a fixed point early(message queue empty, some processes
> still=true). If I increase the processes to 10 or so, if the initial
> process sends out even 1 message, it seems that the fixed point is
> ALWAYS when every process has recieved a message (and never that the
> message queue is empty). Is this just the nature of the beast, or am I
> coding this incorrectly?

Now, this is a case where debugging is urgently needed. You should not
be guessing as to why your message queue is empty or why guarded
commands are enabled when they should not be. Instrument your code
such that you can observe the computation construction. I suggest the
ability to execute the computation action-by-action such that the
computation engine prints the system state information at every
step. This way you can easily spot the problem with the code.