[cs63201] About final exam

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Sat Dec 10 18:33:51 EST 2011

>   Just make sure.
>
>   What material will be covered in the final exam?
>
>   What paper or chapter of the text book should I read before the exam?

The material on the final exam is "Distributed Deadlocks" and
"Agreement". The deadlocks are based on the chapters 3 and 7 of
"Advanced OS" book by Mukesh Singahl. The chapters are in the
"Additional Materials" section of the website. Also, I put the
original papers there as well. The papers are useful for better
understanding of the deadlock algorithms as the textbook does not
always cover them well.

The "Agreement" is based on Chapter 14 of Gerard Tel's
book. Specifically, you'll need the classification of faults and the
proof of lack of consensus in asynchronous systems with a single
faulty process. The knot computation algorithm and renaming are not on
the exam. The original paper by Fischer, Lynch and Patterson is also
online. For the exam, you need to be well familiar with the details
impossibility proof.

The exam will be held on Wednesday, Dec 14 12:45-3:00pm. The exam is
worth 100 points. The relative difficulty of the exam is about the
same as one of the midterms.