[cs63201] Exam Studying - check in

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Tue Dec 10 19:06:28 EST 2013

> Oh, I forgot to mention my other question: the coordinato in S-diamond. Can
> there only be one coordinator? Or since it is asynchronous, was I correct
> in figuring that different processes can be in different rounds and
> recognize different coordinators?

There is a fixed order of coordinators established before the
algorithm starts. A coordinator tries to force consensus. If processes
cannot agree, for example some processes suspect the coordinator, then
the algorithm moves on to the next coordinator. The processes either
arrive at a consensus or, by the eventual accuracy property of diamond
S, there will be a coordinator that is never suspected.