[msseminar] announcements, presentation schedule, presentation procedure

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Thu Oct 13 20:05:32 EDT 2011

Seminar students,

* Our next class on Friday, October 14. The speaker is Hongwei Zhang
  from Wayne State. On Monday, October 17th, I will be giving a
  lecture.

* The presentation schedule is posted on the course's webpage. The first
  student presentation is on October 24th.

  Please check and plan accordingly. I tried to accommodate everyone's
  requests. There was plenty of requests to do presentations in
  December. We cannot do presentations this late in the semester -
  there is no time to submit the reviews and assign semester grades.
  If you cannot make a presentation on a particular date, try to swap
  with somebody else.

* There is a change on moderation policy. The moderators are assigned
  from one of the earliest presenters. For their moderation duties,
  they have to do one less review. That is, they only have to do two
  reviews (any of the three presenters down the list).

* Presentation procedure is as follows. The presenters have to give a
  biographic sketch to the moderator to be introduced (name,
  affiliation, names, dates and institutions where they received
  major degrees, research interests).  Do it in advance so
  the moderator learns to pronounce the names correctly.

  All presentations are on my laptop, bring a flash drive or email me
  your presentation at least a day in advance.  Each presenter has 20
  minutes for the talk, 5 minutes for questions. Moderator keeps time
  and directs questions. After presentation, there is a general
  discussion of the presentations.