[cs23021] question about class participation

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Tue Jan 24 13:22:17 EST 2012

> Hello Dr. Nesterenko
>
> I have a question about class participation. In syllabus, you said "Rather
> than participate in class you may select to do a harder last project (which
> will earn you the extra 10 points.) "  Do you mean this harder last project
> actually is extra credit?

If you opt out of class participation, I'll assign a separate 14-th
project that is worth the same 10 points.

> If I prefer to answer questions in class but finally I am not
> satisfied with the grade for participation, may I still do the
> project to improve my grade? Since I will be nervous to answer
> questions in class, I don't have enough confidence to get a expected
> score.  If I am allowed to do both of them, I really appreciate.

The class participation (or extra project) is structured such that it
cannot be used as makeup or extra credit. That is, you cannot switch
from class-participation to extra project once you realize you are not
doing well in the class participation. This week (until January 29th)
you have to decide which option you would like to take.

Class participation grade is not made to be terribly
difficult. Historically, students who regularly come to class and
follow the material get full credit. It is introduced to help you
refresh the material we study and keep you engaged during the class. I
encourage you to take this option as, I believe, it makes the class
more effective. However, if, for whatever reason, you are unwilling to
answer questions in class, you can take the project option.