[Cs3] CS3 Lab Information

Jordan Adamek jadamek2 at kent.edu
Mon Sep 1 13:27:25 EDT 2014

Hello everyone,

A few issues I wanted to address as per your questions during the two labs
the first week, and also some quick clarifications/recap for anyone who was
not present:

- I would heavily suggest using the hornet and wasp machines as opposed to
neptune. The course will be teaching c++11 techniques, and the old neptune
machine's compiler is not currently equipped to handle c++11.

- For the SVN, the url is:
https://svn.cs.kent.edu/courses/cs49995/svn/FLASHLINE_USERNAME

- Your login info for hornet/wasp/SVN is now your FlashLine information,
*not *your CS account. CS account is mostly unused now (unless you want it
to be; in which case, let us know and we will talk to the system admins).

- I would suggest creating a separate directory for the course inside of
your checked-out folder that you place your projects in, and also having a
separate directory for each project. You may name them as you see fit
(lab1, lab2 or projectName, etc.) so long as they are named such at I can
reasonably locate them.

- You are perfectly free to attend either lab section or both, so long as
you let me know which section you consider "home."

- Attendance will be taken at the start of the lab section (your home
section). For each day you are absent, you will lose points. Once I have
marked you present, you are totally free to leave and work on the labs at
home, though you are encouraged to stay in case you have questions that I
might be able to solve on-site.

- Labs will be due at 11:59 PM on Thursday for the week *after *you are
assigned them (so this first lab is due on Sept. 4).

-Your finished lab assignments should compile on the LINUX servers
(hornet/wasp) where I will be testing them. So, if you are planning on
writing/compiling them elsewhere (such as Visual Studio): once finished and
the program compiles/runs as desired in your local environment, copy your
files/code to your hornet/wasp directory. Compile/run the program there,
fixing any errors that may result (compiles between the Linux machines and
VC++/etc. will not necessarily produce the same results; you have been
warned). If you did have to change anything, make sure these revamped files
are the ones you submit to your repository.

-Finished labs *must* be turned in through your SVN repository. I will not
be accessing them directly through hornet/wasp. I heavily suggest always
checking the SVN in a browser after a commit to make sure everything is not
only there, but up-to-date.

If you ever have questions/need advice/etc, do not hesitate to send me an
email (my email address is in my signature, and also on the course
website). You may also schedule an appointment with me to discuss things
face to face.

I meant to send this a few days ago, but I ran into issues with the mailing
list. Anyhow, do let me know if there is any other information I did not
cover here that you feel may be important to address to the class, and in
the meantime, I wish you all good luck on your projects and with your
semester courses!

Best regards,
--

Jordan Adamek