[cs63201] Project questions

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Thu Sep 8 13:43:53 EDT 2011

> Is it alright if the messages contain the id of the process it's
> supposed to go to? I only ask because it says the messages should
> 'bare no content". Otherwise, the engine will need to be the one
> selecting which processes the messages go to and the random number
> generator will have to be in there (and, according to the
> specification, the engine only routes messages, doesn't seem to
> decide on where they should go.)

When designing the project, differentiate between the distributed
program that your simulation engine runs and the implementation of the
actual simulation engine. In the program, the messages bear no
content. Meaning that there is no data attached to the
message. However, how a message transmission is implemented inside the
simulation engine is entirely up to you as the designer. It might very
well carry the sender process id, the receiver process id and any other
useful information. Note that unless explicitly stated, the
distributed program should not have access to this internal
implementation information.