[CSI] Blackboard connection

Mikhail Nesterenko mikhail at cs.kent.edu
Sat Mar 14 23:44:47 EDT 2020

CSI students,

The labs, lectures, and my office hours will be delivered through
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (BCU). The times are the usual scheduled
times.

To connect, you can go through the blackboard (learn.kent.edu), or use
a link I put on the course's webpage.

Here is how to connect through blackboard:

     For this course, a new joint blackboard course is formed. It combines all three
     sections. The new course blackboard title is:

     	       CS-13012-IB OBJECT ORIENTED PROG-mnestere-202010

     The course content has a link to the BCU site and a link to the course's
     website (http://vega.cs.kent.edu/~mikhail/classes/csi/)

     The BCU site has separate sessions for BCU practice, individual lab sections,
     lectures and my office hours.

     The practice session is always active. You can connect to it any time
     to practice using BCU.

     The other sections are available 15 minutes prior to scheduled
     time.

On the course's website there are direct links to BCU sessions:
   - my office hours has a link to my office hours
   - the course webpage has a link to practice and lecture sessions
   - lab page has a link to individual lab sessions.

Lab attendance is mandatory, BCU maintains attendance
automatically. Milestone compliance is at the discretion of the lab
instructor. "I don't know how to use blackboard" is not a valid reason
to skip the lab: use the practice session in advance.

To join the session you need a tablet or a computer with a speaker and
a microphone, a camera is helpful. Mobile phone will work but is not
recommended since the picture is too small.

BCU recommends Chrome or Firefox, but other browsers are known to
work as well.

If you cannot connect (black screen instead of BCU webpage), you may
have to change your cookie settings: you need to allow sites to save
and read cookie data and stop blocking third-party cookies. In Chrome
the settings are in: Go to settings --> Privacy and Security --> Site
Settings --> Cookies and site data.